Become a WNF User
The Washington Nanofabrication Facility (WNF) offers access to semiconductor manufacturing, characterization, and advanced packaging technology. As a non-profit organization, WNF charges for time and materials on a cost recovery basis.
Users are classified as either UW (internal faculty and staff or business unit paying with a UW budget number) or external (non-UW). External users are defined as academic (other academic institutions, US Federal or State governments and agencies, and certified non-profit organizations) or industrial (all other, for-profit organizations).
Most projects are completed by users scheduling time to work in-person at the facility. After receiving training on necessary equipment, on-site users execute the processing work themselves with optional guidance from facility staff. An alternative project approach is remote use, commonly described as the foundry model, where facility staff conduct fabrication processing work on behalf of the user.
To get started:
- Contact us: WNF staff are available to discuss your project ideas and technology requirements.
- Schedule a visit (optional): Meet with WNF staff members in person to discuss your project and tour the facility. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Register and complete required forms:
- Complete the registration process using the WNF New User Site, http://www.wnf.uw.edu/register/. PIs should complete this process before their students begin.
- Complete and return the appropriate facility use agreement, either UW, non-UW, or remote use. Please note that these agreements must be executed by a legal signature authority for your organization.
- Optional: Complete the Non-Disclosure Agreement, if required for your project. Using the UW pre-approved form will expedite the NDA process.
- Complete billing and financial data:
- UW projects are billed to the UW budget number provided during registration.
- Non-UW projects will be billed for lab usage on a monthly basis.
- Due to the research and development nature of work at WNF, it is not possible to issue binding quotes for projects. Many projects have unanticipated changes in scope and processes based on experimental results so a “not to exceed” purchase order is recommended to account for possible changes with minimum logistical overhead.
- Complete training: For each person who will work in the lab, complete the required orientation and wet bench training sessions.